Don't miss this opportunity!
We are pleased to continue to offer a continuing professional development program for social work, mental health and welfare professionals around the theme of Building Resilience & Preventing Radicalisation to Violent Extremism - An Awareness Raising Workshop.
This workshop is offered free to all attendees with priority given to AASW members. It is 4.5 hours in duration and will be offered to attendees in a large number of locations across Australia. The program builds on the successful pilot program that ran earlier this year in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria.
The AASW have worked with subject matter experts to design this workshop which enables frontline professionals to better understand radicalisation towards, and disengagement from, violent extremism. It offers an early intervention approach based on social inclusion principles that integrates clients with existing services and community activities.
- Understand radicalisation to violent extremism in the Australian context
- Be aware of myths about radicalisation and violent extremism
- Understand why young people might be susceptible to radicalisation to violent extremism
- Understand how to respond calmly and appropriately to situations which arise
- Understand what is involved from a client’s perspective in walking away from violent extremism
- Be aware of the difference between ‘disengagement’ from violent extremism and ‘deradicalisation’
- Understand how to tap into your existing approaches to early intervention, as taken with other damaging behaviours
- Build on existing practices and leveraging existing programs and policies
- Understand how to utilise a framework for making structured professional judgments.
Please note that this course is not about mandatory reporting, conducting investigations, proposing new programs or therapies or general social cohesion initiatives.
These are the workshops being held in Queensland:
- Sunshine Coast. Tuesday 27 November 2018, 9.00am - 1.30pm
- Brisbane. Wednesday 28 November 2018, 12.30pm - 5.00pm
- Rockhampton. Tuesday 4 December 2018, 12.30pm - 5.00pm
- Gold Coast. Tuesday 11 December 2018, 12.30pm - 5.00pm
- Toowomba. Friday 1 March 2019, 12.30pm - 5.00pm
- Brisbane. Tuesday 12 March, 12.30pm - 5.00pm