The continuing COVID-19 health and economic crises have led to more people than ever before struggling to find paid work.
The Australian Government supported people without paid work by lifting JobSeeker and other income support payments, helping them cover the cost of the basics through the immediate crisis.
Now, as we confront what will be a long-term economic downturn, we cannot turn our back on those who are at risk of being left behind.
We cannot turn back to the brutality of people without paid work struggling to survive on the old Newstart rate of $40 per day.
This is not enough to live, let alone to cover the basics, including housing, food (especially fresh food), transport, bills, medical and health care needs.
That’s why we are calling for a permanent and adequate increase to JobSeeker, Youth Allowance and related payments to cover the basics, so everyone can put a roof over their head and food on the table.
Show your support
- Like the Raise the Rate Facebook page
- Join an Introductory Welcome Session to learn more about the campaign
- Sign up to the Raise the Rate for Good campaign
- Sign your organisation up to the campaign and invite your members, staff and volunteers to take action as well
- Call your Federal Member of Parliament
- Write a letter to the editor
For more information visit the Raise the Rate website.