The Family Matters campaign thanks you for your continued support to address the over-representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in out-of-home care. Right now, in 2018, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children are 10.1 times to be taken from their families, community and culture.
Australia needs a wake-up call to address an ongoing national tragedy. The situation will get worse if we don’t act now.
As a Strategic Alliance member, we count on you to support the National Week of Action, which runs from 14-20 May, and to promote the calls of the campaign. Family Matters hopes that governments commit to:
- include an additional Closing the Gap target to eliminate the over-representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in out-of-home care by 2040
- strengthen the current target on education to eliminate the under-representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander birth to 5-year-old children in early childhood education and care services by 2040
- Encourage your staff to sign up to take action with the Family Matters pledge and further encourage their family and friend to support the campaign
- Send an email to your supporters that highlights the Family Matters National Week of Action and how you are hoping to address the issues
- Print and put Family Matters posters up in your office
- Hold a morning tea to promote the discussion and understanding of this issue. Use our posters (1/2) to promote your event. Take a photo with our support sign and share on your social media with #WeBelieveFamilyMatters in your text.
- Make sure and tag Family Matters Facebook and @fam_matters_au on Twitter
- Host a cinema screening of the new feature documentary of After the Apology.
Together, we can help make sure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children live safely in their homes, and grow up healthy and proud of who they are.