Employer: QLD Program of Assistance to Survivors of Torture and Trauma (QPASTT)
Region: Darling Downs
Closing Date: 12 July 2021
Role Title: Counsellor Advocate
Team: Toowoomba Regional Office
Location: Toowoomba with outreach to Gatton (some travel to Brisbane will be required).
Level: Level 5 Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award ($82,774 – $86,529 + leave loading and superannuation). Salary sacrificing available.
Reports to: Regional Services Team Leader
Contract: Full-time Fixed, Term (6 months). Occasional out of hours work will be required.
Healing the past, nurturing the future.
Our vision is for refugee survivors of persecution to live lives liberated from the harms of torture, trauma and human rights injustice. We exist to nurture meaningful futures by assisting refugee survivors to heal, belong and thrive in our
In all our work, survivors of torture and trauma come first.
We believe in meaningful futures.
We are committed to healing being a journey of
We don’t give up.
We understand that healing requires time,
We believe that to heal and belong are human rights.
We collaborate to build opportunities so that
We are looking for a Counsellor Advocate
who is passionate about recovery from trauma for people from a refugee
background. We value the ability to engage clients in healing across mind, body
and spirit. You will be compassionate, patient and courageous in managing a
range of vulnerabilities experienced by our clients and their families. We
believe in cultural respect. We are looking for a Counsellor Advocate who is
comfortable working with clients from many cultural and religious backgrounds.
1. Deliver therapeutic counselling (incorporating a range of modalities) that supports individualised healing and recovery.
2. Deliver appropriate client related advocacy which supports healing and the opportunity to thrive and belong in the Australian community.
3. Provide psychoeducation to enable clients to understand and develop strategies for
4. Ensure assessment and intervention is both trauma informed and culturally sensitive to the needs of survivors of torture and trauma.
5. Manage risk with clients with complex and/or crisis presentations.
6. Ensure quality service delivery including accountability with service delivery and organisational requirements. This includes the writing of case notes and client related professional reports.
7. Deliver group-based therapeutic and psycho-education intervention, and support community events as required.
8. Build and foster collaborative partnerships with other agencies including other family members and community leaders.
9. Collaborative with peers and Regional team members to deliver meaningful services to clients and refugee community.
10. Ability to abide by the vision and values of QPASTT including our Code of Conduct as well as the policies and procedures of the organisation;
11. Support research and evaluation initiatives of the organisation.
1. Degree level qualifications in Social Work, Psychology, Counselling or Occupational Therapy. Eligibility for membership of the relevant professional body.
2. Good conceptualisation and ability to articulate refugee trauma recovery frameworks.
3. Practical therapeutic experience preferably in a refugee trauma recovery context.
4. Ability to respond to varying need across the lifespan (children, youth, adults, elderly).
5. Ability to deliver culturally safe support.
6. Ability to identify client-related risks and implement ways to reduce risk.
7. Ability to document assessment and intervention as well as write professional reports based on therapeutic intervention.
8. Desirable – experience in working with children and young people or whole of families.
Conditions of employment
1. Current Positive Notice Blue Card and provision of an annual federal police check.
2. Current Queensland C Class driver’s license.
To apply, please submit the following documents:
1. A cover letter detailing why you would like to work with QPASTT.
2. Your resume.
3. A response to the selection criteria (no more than 3 pages) detailing how you will be able to meet the responsibilities and requirements of the role.
The final date to apply is by 5pm on Monday 12 July, 2021. Please email your application to: [email protected].
Should you wish to talk with someone about this position, please contact Katie Artiss (Regional Team Leader) on 0422 817 026 or [email protected]