Employer: Caxton Legal Centre Inc
Closing Date: 17 June 2019
Lawyer – Family, Domestic Violence and Elder Law – REF: FELT1001
Position: Lawyer – Family, Domestic Violence and Elder Law
Classification: Level 4 – Full-time
Remuneration: $69,502 plus super and attractive salary packaging options
Type: full-time fixed term contract till 30 June 2022
An opportunity to make a difference
Caxton Legal Centre represents the interests of people who are disadvantaged or low-income earners when they come into contact with the Law. Caxton is seeking a junior Lawyer to work in our Family, Domestic Violence and Elder Law Practice. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing supervised legal advice and casework to clients across a range of programs delivered by the Practice including family law advice program, family law and domestic violence duty lawyer roster, and the Seniors Legal and Support Service which provides advice to older people who are at risk of or experiencing elder abuse. The main areas of law are family law, domestic violence, guardianship and administration, common law (equitable interests), consumer and debt.
· Apply and strengthen existing knowledge of relevant areas of law to deliver legal advice and casework as directed by the Practice Manager under supervision of the Senior Lawyer
· Work collaboratively with social workers to provide holistic, client-centered services to diverse clients within a human rights framework
· Deliver community education, engage in sector development and networking, contribute to law and policy reform
· Supervise the family law evening advice program on a roster from time to time as required
· 1 year post-admission experience in family law and domestic violence law (Qld)
· Bachelor of Laws
· Eligible for admission as a legal practitioner of the Supreme Court of Queensland
· Current Practising Certificate (restricted practising certificate is acceptable)
· Current Drivers Licence
The successful applicant will have the ability to work with clients with complex legal and social issues and provide advice to clients who may have an impairment or be culturally or linguistically diverse.
If you are interested in joining a team who are highly committed to social justice and value diversity and human rights, please send your cover letter addressing the key accountabilities and essential requirements along with your CV quoting reference: FELT1001 to [email protected]
Applications must be received by close of business Monday 17 June 2019. Due to the high volume of applications, only those successful in gaining an interview will be contacted.