Employer: Caxton Legal Centre Inc
Closing Date: 29 October 2019
Position: Lawyer, Human Rights and Civil Law Practice (Retirement Villages and MH Parks focus)
Classification: Level 4 – part-time
Remuneration: $71,586 (Pro-rata .8 FTE) plus super and attractive salary
Type: part time fixed term contract till 30 June 2020
An opportunity to make a difference
Caxton Legal Centre represents the interests of people who are disadvantaged or low-income earners when they come into contact with the Law. Caxton is seeking a part-time Lawyer for 28 hours per week to work in our Human Rights and Civil Law Practice.
The successful applicant will be responsible for providing legal advice, casework and community legal education to clients range of areas of law focusing on retirement villages and manufactured home parks; civil; credit and debt and consumer law. The position works mostly within a specialist unit, the Queensland Retirement Villages and Parks Advisory Service (QRVPAS), and the work includes a substantial casework practice including directly representing individuals and groups of clients in mediations, conciliations and at QCAT. The position also conducts community legal education on an outreach basis with travel sometimes required.
- Apply and strengthen existing knowledge of relevant areas of law to deliver legal advice and casework as directed by the Practice Director
- Work collaboratively to provide a holistic, client-centered service to diverse clients within a human rights framework
- Deliver community education, engage in sector development and networking; contribute to law and policy reform
- Bachelor of Laws or similar qualification
- Demonstrated experience in Civil Law
- Admitted in an Australian jurisdiction
- Hold (or are eligible for) a Queensland Practising Certificate
The successful applicant will have the ability to work with clients with complex legal and social issues and provide advice to clients who may have an impairment or be culturally or linguistically diverse.
If you are interested in joining a team who are highly committed to social justice and value diversity and human rights, please send your cover letter addressing the key accountabilities and essential requirements along with your CV quoting reference: HRCL1003 to [email protected]
Applications must be received by close of business Tuesday 29 October 2019.
Due to the high volume of applications, only those successful in gaining an interview will be contacted.