Employer: Micah Projects
Region: North Queensland
Closing Date: 21 June 2021
Micah Projects is a not-for-profit organisation committed to providing services and opportunities in the community to create justice and respond to injustice. We engage with people experiencing adversity due to poverty, homelessness, mental illness, domestic violence, disability and all forms of discrimination.
Micah Projects works to break down barriers that exclude people from housing, healthcare, employment, meaningful connections, and to give people a voice. We assist and support individuals or family including children, to resolve crisis, break social isolation. Micah Projects is an equal opportunity employer and promotes access to positions to individuals from a diverse range of social and cultural groups.
The Support and Advocacy Worker works in Townsville to deliver counselling and support, advocacy and referral to participants engaged with the Disability Royal Commission. The Support and Advocacy Worker will also support participants to prepare and lodge submissions to the Disability Royal Commission in the manner more suitable to the participant.
This position will involve:
- Working with partner organisations and stakeholders to improve access to appropriate support for participants.
- Foster positive relationships with participants to help achieve their goals, and improve capacity and knowledge.
- Work within the scope of trauma informed practices and use knowledge and skills accordingly with best practice and professional standards.
This is a fixed term, part time role to 30 June 2022 with a minimum of 30.4 hours of work available per week and is classified under the SCHADS Award as a Level 5.
Lotus Support Service Counselling & Support Services (Disability Royal Commission) is funded by the Department of Social Services to provide confidential counselling and support to people engaging with, or affected by, the Disability Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability.
We are seeking candidates with the following skills & experience:
- Demonstrated understanding of the scope of the Disability Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability.
- Effective written and verbal communication and problem-solving skills to maximise support for participants.
- Tertiary qualification in counselling (health services, social work, psychology, social sciences, or related field)
- Current Drivers Licence.
- Ability to work in Australia.
Please visit https://micahprojects.elmotalent.com.au/careers/micahprojects/job/view/17 to apply for this position. The deadline to receive applications is 5pm, Monday 21 June 2021.