Employer: UnitingCare Queensland
Region: Far North Queensland
Closing Date: 27 September 2019
At UnitingCare Queensland we care for and support children, young people and their families across Queensland to live safe, healthy and productive lives through the delivery of services that are flexible and responsive to their individual needs.
We are currently looking for expressions of interest from humble, hard working, emotionally intelligent, creative and flexible team players to join our Cairns residential/Out of home care team as a Part Time Youth Worker. This opportunity is a Maternity Leave 9 month contract, working a minimum of 50 hours per fortnight on a 7 day/24 hour roster.
Our Youth Workers work with young people in our care who have moderate to extreme needs, supporting them to:
- Feel safe and nurtured in a stable environment
- Feel a strong sense of identity and belonging
- Build positive and trusting connections with family, friends and community
- Learn and develop to their full potential
- Make healthy lifestyle choices and access health care services
- Develop strong social and interpersonal skills
In addition to the above your role will also include but not be limited to:
- Maintaining a Clean and Safe home environment
- Managing Day to Day tasks within the context of a residential care home
- Completing verbal and written reports as and when required
To be successful in this role you will ideally have a strong understanding of the child protection system and more specifically previous exposure to a residential or out of home care environment. In addition you will have a strong therapeutic background ideally with a well-developed understanding of C.A.R.E principles.
Supplementing the above you will require the following qualifications and certificates:
- A minimum Cert IV or above in human services, community services, Youth Services or related field
- Current Blue Card (or willingness to apply for one)
- A current Qld Driver Licence (Must be Open and valid licence – to be confirmed prior to offer of employment)
- A senior First Aid Certificate (must be valid and hold prior to employment)
- Be subject to relevant criminal and child protection system checks
Please note, all applicants must meet the minimum qualification standard as determined by the Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women for residential care staff prior to commencing unsupervised, direct work with children and young people. More information provided by following the below link
We ask a lot of our people but we also give a lot back!
As one of the largest employers in the sector and the state, UnitingCare Queensland offers a variety of benefits including values based work environment, discounted products and services, attractive salary packaging, career development and lifestyle benefits.
We are a people centred organisation as the hours of our positions are dictated by the needs of the people we support the availability for each role may differ. As this roles support young people in residential setting flexible 24 hour availability is required as this role will involve shift work and sleepovers.
We work hard to make our services welcoming and safe for every person. We are united in keeping children, young people and the elderly safe from harm, within our services, workplaces and the communities we support. We are committed to speaking up loudly for their safety.
At UnitingCare, we believe in the strength of a diverse and inclusive workforce to help us achieve the best outcomes for the communities in which we operate and serve. We highly encourage applications from people who identify as a part of the Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Community.