As an essential service, transport must be accessible, affordable, safe, fair and sustainable for all Queenslanders. QCOSS made a submission to the Queensland Transport Strategy to ensure that the voices of people who are often not heard are taken into consideration for transport planning over the next 30 years.
These include people on low incomes and people who are made vulnerable by the transport system that excludes them.
We believe that:
• Transport is an essential service and should be available for all Queenslanders regardless of where they live.
• Transport planning must take a human rights approach including ensuring access for people with disability, older people, and people living in remote and regional areas.
• Transport infrastructure is a public asset underpinning many aspects of community and personal wellbeing.
• Reform is needed to ensure that this essential service is accessible, affordable, safe, fair and sustainable into the future.
• Adapting new funding models and new technologies must be fair and inclusive.