QCOSS made a submission to the Review of Queensland Energy Legislation Issues Paper. We strongly suggested that Queensland’s energy legislation promote the following principles:
- Energy is an essential service.
- Australia’s energy system exists to serve the community and underpins every aspect of our lives.
- Households experiencing energy stress should receive the supports they need to manage their bills and to stay connected.
- A fair and just transition to renewable energy is important for all Queenslanders.
- People must be able to access effective dispute resolution processes in relation to any issue that affects the rights of energy customers.
- There are broader social, economic and cultural benefits that flow from investing in more effective supports for customers at risk of energy hardship and disconnection, and in supporting equal participation and inclusion in the transition to renewable energy.