The continuing COVID-19 health and economic crises have led to more people than ever before struggling to find paid work.
The Australian Government supported people without paid work by lifting JobSeeker and other income support payments, helping them cover the cost of the basics through the immediate crisis.
Now, as we confront what will be a long-term economic downturn, we cannot turn our back on those who are at risk of being left behind.
We cannot turn back to the brutality of people without paid work struggling to survive on the old Newstart rate of $40 per day.
This is not enough to live, let alone to cover the basics, including housing, food (especially fresh food), transport, bills, medical and health care needs.
That’s why we are calling for a permanent and adequate increase to JobSeeker, Youth Allowance and related payments to cover the basics, so everyone can put a roof over their head and food on the table.
Show your support
- Sign the statement of support and like the Raise the Rate Facebook page.
- Read the Raise the Rate for Good factsheet.
- Invite your members, staff and volunteers to take action as well.
- Write to your local MP and Treasurer, Josh Frydenberg and Minister for Families and Social Services, Ann Ruston. You can use this sample letter as a starting point.
- Seek a meeting with your local Federal Member of Parliament and tell them how the new rates of income support (with the Coronavirus Supplement) have helped people you work with cover the cost of basics.
- Get involved in the National Day of Action on 14 July 2020.
National Day of Action – 14 July
On Tuesday 14 July, the Raise the Rate for Good campaign is holding a National Day of Action to send our elected representatives a strong message that with unemployment surging we cannot go back to $40 a day. Communities will join together to call on the Australian Government to Raise the Rate For Good.