Every child and young person deserves a healthy, safe upbringing with the opportunity to be well educated, and to feel pride in their culture and identity.
QCOSS is proud to one of 20+ organisations and individuals across Australia calling on governments to initiate the most significant and valuable nation-building project that has ever been undertaken – the Every Child National Wellbeing Commitment.
The aim of the campaign is to bring awareness and accountability for all Australians to ensure children an young people get the best start out of life. The campaign advocates that the foundations for children and young people’s wellbeing are that they are able to access quality health care and education, secure housing and income, personal safety and self-confidence.
As part of the Every Child National Wellbeing Commitment, the Every Child alliance is on a mission to achieve seven headline targets for action:
- Increase by 20 per cent in 10 years the number of children who are developmentally ‘on track’ in their first year of full-time school.
- Reduce the number of children in out of home care by 20 per cent in 10 years.
- Eliminated the over-representation in rates of notification of child abuse or neglect of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in 10 years.
- Increase by 20 per cent in 10 years the number of children and young people from low income families living in stable and affordable housing.
- Increase by 20 per cent in 10 years the investment in early support and prevention as a proportion of overall child and family support service funding in regional and major cities across Australia.
- Reduce by 20 per cent in 10 years the number of children and young people living in poverty.
- Reduce by 20 per cent in 10 years the rate of youth suicide.
Visit the Every Child website for more information.